Welcome to the signup portal for Private Lessons at The Bellport Bay Sailing Foundation (BBSF).
Important: Read the following information carefully. By signing up for a Private Lesson, you agree to ALL of the following policies, placement and other information.
- We must have received all 5 (five) 2022 BBSF authorization forms [Photo Release Form, Parental Waiver/Consent Form, Sailor's Code of Conduct, Medicate Emergency Consent and Covid 19 Form] BEFORE you can register your child for Private Lessons. (if your child is in one of our group classes, you may have already submitted them). All forms are submitted electronically and can be found through the links in the header above.
- Each child may ONLY register for ONE Private Lesson per week.
PLEASE NOTE: Private Lessons will be cancelled, and fees forfeited if these policies aren’t strictly adhered to.
PRIVATE LESSON PLACEMENT:
It is vital for the success and safety of young sailors, that they sail in the boat that best fits their size and skills. Because safety is always our highest priority, we cannot allow children to sail in boats for which they are not adequately prepared. If your child is in our group class program, please consult with their instructor before registering your child for a Private Lesson in a boat which requires a different/higher level of skill, age or size, then they routinely sail.
We offer Private Lessons in these boats:
- Mercury: Youth sailors (regardless of age) new to sailing always start in a Mercury sailboat. Mercury Lessons may be for one or two sailors per boat (the lesson is $65 whether it is for 1 sailor or 2 sailors/if two families are paying together, please have one family pay online and work out sharing the cost on your own. COMING SOON!
- Optimist: Youth sailors who have attained the necessary skills in the Mercury and are between 8 and 15 years old, may be able to sail an Opti. Because they will be sailing by themselves in an opti, children must have significant previous sailing experience to do so. Please note, that not every child wants to skipper their own boat and many sailors prefer to stay in the Mercury program. Once again, if your child is not currently enrolled in one of our Opti classes, you must secure your Mercury Instructor's permission before signing up for private Opti lessons. Click here to register for a Private Lesson in the Opti.
- 420: Once sailors are too large (over 5'3" and approximately 115-120 or more pounds), age out of Optis, and have the necessary skills, they may enjoy the thrill of learning to sail the 420. This is a high school and college double-handed racing boat, most sailors are 13 and older when they begin sailing a 420. 420 Sailors must register as a pair; please make sure to give us the names of both the skipper and crew when registering. Once again, if your child is not currently enrolled in one of our 420 classes, you must secure your Mercury/Opti Instructor's permission before signing up for private 420 lessons. COMING SOON!
To learn more about the boats, please click here.
To register your child for one of the Private Lesson slots, please click the appropriate link for the boat they'll be sailing, above.
Location: All lessons take place at the Bellport dock, at the bottom of Bellport Lane.
Cost: $65 per hour
Please note that sailing is a weather-depended sport. Sometimes there will be too much/too little wind for our sailors to go out safely on the water. There will be no classes on rainy days. Weather cancellations will be done as early as possible via the Remind App. Cancelled classes will be rescheduled for the same time the following week.
All sailors are required to have a comfortable Coast Guard-approved PFD (Personal Flotation Device) with a whistle attached, a pair of closed-toe water shoes (old sneakers or mesh pull-ons are fine) as well as a face covering.